Nexplanon is a contraceptive implant or a birth control implant placed in the arm. It is usually adequate as a pill but lacks the daily hassle. The small, thin, and flexible arm implant is typically placed under the skin of the inner non-dominant upper arm by the health care provider. Nexplanon works using the hormone that hinders the egg from being produced from the ovary and prevents the sperm from reaching the egg. It also alters the internal lining of the uterus.
This contraceptive is a flexible plastic rod about the size of a toothpick. The Nexplanon implant is preloaded in a sterile and disposable applicator for use. The slow and steady release of the pregestational hormone from the dose thickens the cervical mucus and the endometrium lining in the uterus. It then subdues the ovulation.
Now, the million-dollar question: Is weight gain inevitable after Nexplanon removal?
Removal of Nexplanon
This birth control method has a long-term effect. It takes about three years. After three years, the implant should be replaced with a new one or removed altogether.
Having said that, I’m sure you’re curious if weight gain comes after its removal, right? Some are even worried, thinking if there will be a massive weight gain after Nexplanon removal.
The medical practitioner must read the instruction on the health card before attempting the Nexplanon removal. Confirm the exact location of the implant in the arm by palpation. The practitioner should confirm if she has any allergies to the antiseptic to be used.
- Using a sterile marker, mark the area of the implant location.
- Clean the location thoroughly, after which application of an antiseptic is done.
- Inject the local anesthetic under the implant, and push its proximal end down, making it stable.
- Make the distal tip along the incision of about 2mm towards the direction of the elbow.
- Carefully push the implant towards the incision until the tip is visible. Then grip the implant with a pair of forceps and gently pull it out.
- Insert the forceps into the incision and flip them in case the tip is not visible.
- Carefully dissect the tissue around the implant using another pair of forceps and clutch it out.
- Be sure that the entire implant is removed and it is not broken. In case it is broken, the broken pieces left must also be removed. The ideal implant is about 4 cm.
- Apply adhesive bandage after the removal.
After Removal Care
- The bandage should be worn for 24 hours.
- Keep the pressure bandage dry.
- Remove the dressing after 24 hours; a bandage is put on after about three to five days.
- The symptoms such as swelling, discoloration, bruising, or pain should not worry you because they are typical symptoms.
- After the healing of the incision, the practitioner should go on with the daily routine.
- If you encounter consistent pain, redness, drainage from the incision point, and high body temperature, seek medical attention immediately or contact the health personnel.
What are the side effects of Nexplanon?
The adverse effects include:
- Side effects related to allergy, e.g., itching, peeled skin, hives, and rashes.
- Adverse effects related to blood pressure., headache, mood swings, change in eyesight, dizziness, and fainting.
- Vaginal bleeding.
- Side effects related to the stomach, e.g., bloating, vomiting, fever, pain in the belly, and upset stomach.
- Adverse effects related to lungs, e.g., breathing problems, wheezing, heavy chest, and trouble in talking and swallowing.
- Liver-related adverse effects, e.g., loss of appetite, fatigue, dark urine, and yellow eyes and skin.
- Metabolic and nutritional complications.
- Infection in the urinary tract.
- Common side effect; abnormal weight gain.
- Adverse reaction; Ectopic pregnancy.
- Breast problems, e.g., swelling, pain in the nipples, discharge from the nipples, and feeling of soreness.
- Adverse effects on the immunity system.
Complications Related to Nexplanon
The complications include; Pain, bruising, scarring, fibrosis at the implant area, paraesthesia, and irritation.
Weight Loss After Nexplanon Removal
When the implant Nexplanonis inserted into your body, it releases the synthetic hormone etonogestrel into the bloodstream for about 36 months. The hormone looks like progesterone hormone. Progesterone hormone is a natural hormone that regulates the menstrual cycle along with the hormone etonogestrel.
This etonogestrel hormone complicates and disturbs the body’s natural hormone balance. As a result, it causes weight gain. Yes, you heard it right — weight gain.
Women are advised to get counseled to understand better and know weight gain to continue using these forms of weight gain blindly.
It is vital to know that weight gain is a personal experience for each individual using the implant. Studies show that the average practitioner may not reflect on the body’s reactions to contraceptive implants.
Some other factors that cause weight loss include aging, poor eating, sedentary lifestyle habits, or other medical conditions.
Tips To Help You Lose Weight After Nexplanon Removal
To help with weight loss after Nexplanon removal, here are some tips:
1. Eat regular meals.
Consuming regular meals during the day helps burn calories at a faster speed. Regular meals also minimize the temptation to go for foods with high levels of food and sugar.
2. Be active.
Being active is one of the most fundamental things when it comes to losing weight. You can choose to be active either by walking, running, or training using weight loss equipment. Exercises help you burn more and excess calories quickly. Calories can’t be lost through diet alone.
3. Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Fruits and vegetables have low levels of calories and fats. They are high in fiber content. These are the best conditions for weight loss. On the other hand, fruits and vegetables are relatively cheap and readily available; hence they are affordable. They also contain vitamins and minerals essential to the body’s health.
4. You are not advised to ban foods.
Banning foods will make crave for more; instead of banning, reduce the quantity little by little. Enjoy these occasional treats as long as you operate within the daily calorie intake allowance. Don’t ban any food as long as you have the intention of losing weight.
5. Carefully plan your meals.
It would be best if you planned your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks well. Do not just eat anyhow as you won’t get any positive results. Carefully planning your meals, make sure that you stick to the daily calorie allowance.
6. Breakfast should not be skipped.
If you skip breakfast, it won’t help you lose weight; instead, it will attract complications related to malnutrition. This may not be good for your health and as far as weight loss is concerned.
7. Always use a small-sized plate.
This will help you maintain the amount of food you consume. This will eventually make you get used to eating smaller amounts of food during your journey to weight loss. Always eat slowly.
8. Don’t stock junk food.
This is to avoid temptation. Junk foods such as chocolate, biscuits, fizzy drinks, and Crips are unhealthy, especially for people intending to lose weight. Instead, you are advised to go for healthy foods such as fruits, fruit juice, popcorn, and oatcakes.
9. Cut down alcohol consumption.
An alcoholic drink may contain a high number of calories; hence, you are recommended to cut off all the consumption of alcoholic drinks. Instead, go for natural fruit juice or drink water. You will not die! Drinking too much alcohol will always contribute to weight gain. If you find it difficult to cut off alcohol consumption, you can reduce the consumption little by little until you completely cut off.
10. Consume food with high fiber content.
Food containing a high level of fiber content help you feel full for an extended period, which is perfect for weight loss. Fiber is found in fruits, vegetables, brown rice, beans, peas, oats, and wholegrain bread.
The Bottom Line
Weight gain due to the Nexplanon implant is one of its side effects. After the removal of the Nexplanon contraceptive, go through the tips above to enhance your weight loss goal. This is if you’d love losing weight after gaining it through contraceptive methods.
Women are advised to be aware of what type of contraceptive is suitable for them to avoid the risks of weight gain.
Did you experience weight gain after the removal of your Nexplanon implant? Keep track of your body weight before you start your journey to losing weight, and let us know later in the comments section if you gained weight or you lost some.
Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
As an affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.