As we age, we frequently require help with daily tasks like getting out of bed or making meals. When this starts to cause issues, senior home care should be considered. Family caregivers who need assistance caring for an elderly parent or other relatives who cannot do so on their own can find great value in in-home care.
What is Senior Companion Care?
Senior companion care is a non-medical at-home service that offers seniors companionship, housekeeping help, and personal care.
Whether you or a loved one require assistance with everyday tasks and housework, such as grocery shopping and food preparation, or aid with personal grooming, you can find a senior companion program in Mclean, VA that suits your needs.
Senior companion caregivers accompany elderly individuals who desire to stay in their homes but require assistance with daily life activities like the following:
- Transportation to doctor’s appointments and social events
- Light housekeeping tasks like dusting furniture or vacuuming carpets
- Running errands like picking up prescriptions at the pharmacy or dry cleaning services
- Providing transportation within the city (like taking seniors out for lunch)
- Helping with medication reminders
- Helping seniors keep their independence by providing individualized instruction on chores like utilizing kitchen appliances (like blenders) securely and without danger of injury
- Exemplifying the right practices when preparing food (like smoothies) independently instead of having someone else prepare it.
Assistance with bathing, dressing, and grooming is a part of personal care services. Many seniors may find it challenging to complete these duties on their own.
Assistance with urination includes flushing the toilet and cleaning up after a bowel movement or an accident. Capital City Nurses can assist older people with problems getting in and out of beds or chairs by moving them safely from one location to another.
How to Determine When Senior Companion Care is Necessary
If you’re like most people, it might be challenging to decide when to obtain 24-hour home care or hire a senior companion. It may be time to discuss home care if you see any of the following symptoms:
- A modification to the dosage or regimen of a medicine
- Falls frequently and injuries brought on by poor balance or motor skill loss
- Reduced appetite and weight loss brought on by a dislike of cooking or eating
- Changes in appearance
- The house is in poor condition
- Mental/behavioral changes (disorientation, memory lapses, mood swings, restlessness/irrationality, rage/abusiveness, halted/repeated speaking).
What does 24-hour home care entail? When you receive round-the-clock home care, a caregiver is available to you every day of the week. Private residences and facilities for assisted living offer this kind of service.
24-hour support benefits those who require assistance with personal care tasks like bathing, dressing, and self-feeding. Additionally, it is the best option for people with ongoing chronic illnesses like diabetes or congestive heart failure.
The sum up
Senior companion care benefits family caregivers by relieving them of some of the duties of caring for an elderly relative or friend. It gives them a break from having to watch around the clock for an older person who might have dementia or other incapacitating medical conditions.
Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
As an affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.